This week’s recommendation comes from:

Michael Telek seated in front of bushes and trees

Michael Telek

Video and Marketing Manager

Michael says, “This article spoke to me because as a pro wrestling fan, I would’ve been at every one of those after-school classes if they had this at my school. We can shift the focus more to the students seeing themselves in the story/on the big screen than the teacher using it to connect with the student beyond a lesson plan, something that is important to the IFL’s mission.”

Brooklyn Teacher Hopes to Give Wrestling Club WrestleMania Experience

Philip Lindsey

“I think my students want to know who their teachers are. We only show them one side, but to be vulnerable and show them something that you love? Yeah, that’s powerful. They feel special. They feel like they get to see a side of you that is hidden from the world. My connection with them is unbreakable. Our conversations may begin as wrestling then it leads to other things that they share with me about their own lives that I can then provide insight for.” – Victor Perry, educator

Who says pro wrestling can’t be educational? Victor Perry is using this sports entertainment to connect with students at KIPP AMP Middle School in New York City. He started the Wrestling Club, an afterschool program that allows students to watch wrestling together. In this article, Perry not only talks about the importance of getting to know his students better, but also how he uses this as an opportunity to show the students that world champions can look just like they do and no dream is too big to chase. Be sure to check out the video in this article where multi-time champion Sasha Banks made a surprise visit and meets the club.