This week’s recommendation comes from:

Kristin Klingensmith

Kristin Klingensmith

Mathematics Fellow

Kristin says, “While I was pursuing my Masters in the Art of Teacher, I had the chance to be in one of Peg’s classes. I look back now and realize that the experiences I had in her class were pivotal to my career path. Her work in the field is seminal. It has laid the foundation for and helps us make connections between the science and art of teaching mathematics and the opportunities students have for constructing understanding of it. During this podcast, Peg shares information and insights about the five practices of orchestrating productive mathematical discussions plus an additional two critical practices.” 

Making Math Moments 

Episode #33 The 5 Practices: An Interview with Peg Smith  

Hosted by Kyle Pearce and John Orr 

“Your assessing questions should really be focused on trying to make sense of what the student’s current thinking is, and once that thinking becomes visible to you, then thinking about so where is the student right now, where is it that I ultimately want to go, and what is one question I could leave them to think about that is going to help move them forward. The first thing I want to do with the student isn’t just to ensure they get the right answer. I want to figure out how to get their thinking in the right space and then maybe thinking incrementally.” Peg Smith, professor and author 

Making Math Moments founders Kyle Pearce and John Orr are big fans of professor and author Dr. Peg Smith, NCTM 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient. Kyle and John reference her book, 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematical Discussions, more than any other in their podcast. Listen to their conversation with Peg to take a deep dive into the five practices as well as hear about the other two practices Peg often references.